37 Squadron - RAF Feltwell, Norfolk, UK.
RAF Feltwell was in use in the latter part of World War One and was simply a field used by several RAF training units up until circa 1920. In the early 1930s it was decided Feltwell should be part of the airfield expansion plan and the grass airfield was provided with a semi-circle of C-type hangars and support buildings. The airfield opened again in early 1937 when 214 Squadron arrived from Scampton in Lincolnshire equipped with Handley Page Harrow aircraft. 37 Squadron was then created from B-Flight of 214 Squadron. Both were bomber squadrons and part of No. 3 Group, and they were re-quipped with Vickers Wellingtons. By September 1939 214 Squadron had moved to Feltwell satellite airfield at nearby Methwold, leaving 37 Squadron sole operational unit at Feltwell, from which they were deployed for action on the first day of the war. 37 Squadron remained at RAF Feltwell until November 1940 when they were redeployed to Malta.
37 Squadron Wellington Aircraft and Aircrew that took part in The Battle of Heligoland Bight 18th December 1939
We are in contact with family members of the following 37 Squadron crew members:
F/Lt Appleby, Sgt Barrington-Taylor, LAC Barstow, P/O Drawwater
AC1 Geddes, LAC Greaves, S/Ldr Hue-Williams, LAC H.A. Jones, Cpl Kidd,
F/O P.C. Lemon, F/O Lewis, LAC E. Lowe, Sgt T.K. May, P/O Radcliffe,
P/O Ross, Sgt Ruse, Sgt Sheppard, LAC L.A. Stock, Cpl Taylor,
F/O Templeman, F/O Vaughan Williams, F/O Wimberley.
We would still like to make contact with family members of the following 37 Squadron crew members:
Sgt E.A. Downham, AC1 A.M. Hill, Sgt T.W. Holley, AC1 P.T. Jones,
LAC A.W.W. Lane, Sgt A.R. Norris, Cpl W. Robinson,
F/O A.T. Thompson, Sgt A.J. Tilley.
Station Headquarters Building © C.Kesseler 2016
Wooden Church © C.Kesseler 2016
Air Gunnery Training Building © C.Kesseler 2016